Tuesday, April 26, 2011

All in One Pan

I love all-in-one-pan meals. Not having a dishwasher, the less dishes the better. But, I also love the simplicity and heartiness of it. It’s the way I would want to cook on a boat.  The meal pictured above is one I cooked after watching this video from Chef Todd Mohr. For awhile I got on a kick with his videos and philosophy of cooking. He stresses that we should stay away from following recipes because cooking is an art. We should learn methods of cooking like basic sauté and then apply the methods to the ingredients we have in our pantry. He certainly is right that looking up recipes, buying the ingredients for said recipes, and then following the recipes takes LOTS of time. But on the other hand, there are ingredients that I NEVER would have combined without following a recipe. So, it’s my goal to apply a bit of his philosophy to my recipe-following habits in hopes of becoming a more self-reliant and creative home cook. 


3 comments:

  1. Oh my! How scrumptious looking! I would love to one day be one of those people who can just "throw a bit of this and that" to make something. I also then realized that it might help if I follow recipes to get an idea of ingredients. It is nice to see your creations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How inspiring! Now I really want to cook something....

    That's a beautiful dish of yummy goodness! I wish I was that creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy do I need to follow that philosophy more than I do. I feel an extreme lack of creativity and originality in the kitchen. I will work to change that. Thanks for a good reminder.

    This dish looks really good. And yes, simple is good.

    ReplyDelete