Sunday, June 5, 2011

Anniversary of Orchids



In 2009 and 2010 Travis gave me orchids on our anniversary instead of a bouquet of flowers. I have to admit that I much prefer the orchids! They have been the kind of gifts that keep on giving. I’ve always heard that orchids are difficult to grow or take care of. But, I’ve found the contrary to be true, at least for the species I have. The phalaenopsis orchids usually start to grow the shoots/stalks that will bud in February or March and then bloom in early spring. One still has 2 flowers left and it’s June. When the flowers fall off, I sit them outside in the shade along our backyard fence and do nothing to them until I bring them back inside next winter to enjoy their company. How easy is that?!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, those are nice photos. I love to just look at flowers; it's a very relaxing thing to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too thought they were hard to grow. I've looked at them longingly though, wanting to grow some. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for that particular variety and try some myself one day! Neil has bought me potted plants instead of bouquets and I love it.
    Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete