Monday, April 18, 2011

Refried Beans without the Refry

I’ve just finished up the last of my frozen refried bean cubes. What? Yes, you can freeze almost anything! When I ran across this idea, I couldn’t believe I hadn’t thought of it myself. Actually I could believe it, as I frequently have a very hard time thinking outside of the box. As I once turned the can of chicken broth around and actually read the ingredients, I so have done with refried beans. Imagine my shock and dismay at the ingredient “lard.” Ughh. Not every can of refried beans is made with “lard,” but there are other issues surrounding a can of refried beans that bother me. One problem is the cost. The other is the waste. The main thing I use the beans for now is juevos rancheros. Many times I open a can and never use all of the beans before they go bad. So, I searched out a refried bean recipe online and found: “Refried Beans without the Refry.” After making the beans, I froze them in ice cube trays and then bagged the cubes in ziplocs. It only takes a couple of minutes in the microwave to defrost a couple of cubes. How convenient, inexpensive, and healthy! And, nothing is wasted! I just love nifty little tricks like these.

4 comments:

  1. I thought "what?!" the first time you told me about these cubes. Then I start thinking of what all I could freeze. This is a great idea. I hate it when I need half a can of something and don't know what to do with the rest. Maybe this will help me get creative.

    I really like the picture and all the white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very interesting way of doing it! I love finding economical and healthy tricks! The juevos rancheros sound yummy! Maybe one day you can put those on here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Who ever thought of freezing ''refried'' beans! That's a good idea.

    We just might end up freezing everything we have! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. We may all need to invest in large deep freezers... ;-)

    Sarah...yes I might need to do that =)

    ReplyDelete