Friday, September 23, 2011

August Kitchen




August saw lots of salads and farmer's market goodies 


I did make good on my promise to sprout mung beans, but I don't see myself doing it again. I think I filled my sprouting jar about 2/3 full. After a couple of days, I had to expand into a...FLOWER VASE! Geez. I ended up finding a recipe for sprouted mung bean soup that called for 4 cups of sprouted mung beans. Score! I ate one bowl and dumped the rest out by our backyard fence. Several days later, the mung beans were still there. The opossums didn't even want them. NOW, I'm not saying I don't like mung beans. I've used them for soup before and enjoyed them. But, for some reason the sprouted version turned me off and the opossums too.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I love beets! If you've never tried fresh roasted beets, please do! My favorite way to cook them is to trim, rinse, and wrap in foil with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook them on 400 for about an hour. If you have really large beets, they may need to cook longer. Remove from the oven when you can pierce them easily with a fork. Then, slip off the skins and slice into quarters. Ta daa! You have beets ready to use for salads and snacks! Just make sure to handle them with gloves at all times to avoid stained fingers.

Not a fan of okra? Try the okra and tomatoes recipe link in the photo album above. It will make a believer out of you. This is honestly the BEST okra I've ever had. The secret is in the searing of the okra so that the sliminess is locked in and not oozing out on your plate.



I love banana bread and I love pancakes, but I'm afraid that banana bread pancakes just didn't do it for me. Maybe I did something wrong on my end. Or maybe some things just shouldn't be combined. Whatever the case, I was extremely disappointed after the delicious looking photo I found on Pinterest that tempted me to make these.






10 comments:

  1. I am doing it again - reading your blog when I am hungry. ;)
    It all looks so delicious! We love alfalfa sprouts, and when we were starting them we had done a bunch of seeds to start off as well. The outcome you can probably guess...I tried making okra and tomatoes for the first time this summer (it was much simpler than your scrumtious one though), and I liked it very much. I think yours looks amazing with the sort of charred okra. Mmm....
    Beautiful food, and beautiful pictures as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, everything looks so delicious! And I must be taking after Sarah, because it's lunch time for me. :D The okra and tomatoes turned out very tasty. And I've only seen Pasta Puttanesca one other place, and I thought it would be yummy. Yours looks good... How many omelets did you make? Those pancakes look very good, but I can see how heavy they would be. Pancakes are much more enjoyable when they're light. And oh my, that blueberry goodness looks... very good... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love puttanesca (although not the translation of what it means... you can google that) because I usually have all the ingredients on hand to make it at any given time. I love having recipes like this to fall back on when I haven't planned for anything. I used 6 eggs to make 2 omelets, one small and one medium sized. But, I didn't use all of the chopped veggies, etc. I like to save my extra chopped veggies for weekday mornings when I have less time to work with. The blueberry goodness was VERY GOOD! (as long as you like custard or creme brulee)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandon and I were talking about your photography tonight....all your pictures of food look SO very good! I've decided I can only check your blog when I'm not eating PB&Js with the kids for dinner ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Brittany! The secret is the external flash. It makes a HUGE difference. I've recently been diggin' some peanut butter myself. I'll put the link to pb I've been buying on Pinterest. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so my "pin it" button isn't working properly. Here's a link: http://www.netrition.com/naturally_more_peanut_butter.html
    You can buy it at Walmart, Sams, and Publix. I believe they make organic and regular versions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha! So funny! I'm glad you have some things that don't turn out sometimes just so I don't feel so discouraged. ;) Wait, that is selfish, isn't it? I have had a similar experience with sprouts. That's too funny though.

    I'm trying to like beets. I really like them juiced raw with carrots, but for some reason can't get myself to like them cooked. Maybe cause they're not yours. We roast chicken leg quarters (with skin) the exact same way, minus covering with foil, and it's amazing.

    Sigh, disappointments are hard to take. Those pancakes look good anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like everything else with photography equipment, is there a big difference between external flashes? Or is a flash a flash? You don't have to give an extensive answer since I should research it more; just wondering if it's as hard to pick out an external flash as it is a lens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hannah,

    I'll have to try some chicken like that sometime! I guess we all just have different tastebuds =) And, that's something I always have to remind myself when I'm following a recipe. Now, I question recipes whereas in the past I just followed them blindly.

    I know there IS a difference, but I don't really know that much about external flashes. Because I'm apt to drag out the research process, I just took the plunge with the best flash Canon offered at the time of purchase. I figured I could grow into it. And, even though I know I'm not using it to it's fullest capabilities yet, I LOVE what it has done for my photos. I can really add depth now...oh, and light! I think the main difference between each of Canon's external flashes is power/light output. But, I think maybe also in the ways they can be triggered and setting options. I went for years without one....but wish I could get those years back and take those photos again with the flash (I'm mainly talking about Swing Night...but the food photos too).

    ReplyDelete